Sunday, December 2, 2007

Child labor


Do these pictures scare you? Yes, this is my son Zerin on top of my mothers roof working with Cameron and his uncles. My husband grew up doing construction. He has memories of driving forklifts when he was as young as 6 yrs old ( these memories are factual- I checked with his mother). Needless to say Zerin up on a roof does not phase him at all. In fact he felt like Zerin was behind in his construction training. The thought of my 6 year old son up on a two-story roof would have made me extremely nervous about 7 years ago but now... it is just part of the game. So my question is... would you let your son/daughter (because- oh yes Natalie has helped on a roof as well) help reroof a house or use power tools or things like that?


This is my safety concious husband teaching his nephew the basics of cheating the safety devise on a nail gun. This is a fun game he and his brother would play with each other as teenagers. Good thing he has grown up since then.
I am sure some might have issues with my children helping roof a house or other things like using power tools and so forth but I do have to say I am glad that my children are learning skills. These skills are very valuable and can help many people... like grandma.

I do have to say that Cameron is very good about teaching them how to do things safely and intellegently. He does not let them just goof off and play in a construction zone. If this was not the case they would not be up on the roof.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Celia Fae said...

You are going to have to take this post down when Zerin falls off and breaks his arm. Otherwise, CPS is going to come after you.

Ann said...

For me, it was grandpa who had Travis using a real saw at 3 yrs, old, and not just a little one, but a big one with really big sharp teeth, that wanted to eat my precious little boy. Things have continued on since then. I have learned it is just better for me to not be around watching when these kinds of things are going on. Ignorance is bliss at times.

Audry said...

You are better than me, because there is no way my child would be on the roof anything. I'm a big chicken when it comes to those kinds of things.

Nortorious said...

Eh, we had my ten month old putting in 10 hour days at the rice patty by six months.